Monday, 28 June 2010

San Juan festival, Spain.






San Juan, being St John the Baptist. This is celebrated as a festival around the 23rd of June, AKA Summer Solstice. The effigies used were to originally represent Judas, however different towns tend to focus on different characters. The small town of Mojacar, not to far from Almeria, celebrate San Juan with an effigy representing a fisherman. Almost like a Wickerman of the sea I guess.

All in all, this was a pretty amazing spectacle. I kind of felt like I was on a James Bond set or something. I’ve been to Spain quite a few times but never really experienced one of their festivals this close. People where jumping into the see so as to replenish their souls from evil spirits. I just settled for a paddle, I guess it’s good not to put all your eggs into one basket.
Post a Comment